Frequently Asked Questions - Kalgoorlie Scenic Flights:
1. How much does a flight cost?
Lake Lefroy including Big Pit Scenic Flight: Adult - $250, Pensioners - $240, Child - $200, Infant - FREE
Kalgoorlie Big Pit Scenic Flight: Adult - $115, Pensioner - $105, Child - $90, Infant – FREE
("Child" rate applies to children aged under 15 years of age)
("Infant" rate applies to children aged under 2 years of age that can sit on an adult's lap in the aircraft)
2. Are there discounts for pensioners?
Yes, if you hold a valid Australian Pensioner card you are eligible for a $10 discount. Make sure you bring your card to show us at check-in.
3. Is there a minimum age for passengers?
No, there is no minimum age. Children under 2 years of age are free if they sit on their parent’s lap.
4. How long does the flight take?
Lake Lefroy including Big Pit Scenic Flight: 1 hour
Kalgoorlie Big Pit Scenic Flight: 20 minutes
5. How do I book a seat on the scenic flight?
The best way to book a flight is through our online booking system at CLICK HERE to book, choose the date and time you wish to fly. Then complete your personal and payment details.
6. I’m having trouble booking online. How else can I book?
If you are having trouble booking your scenic flights online, you can call one of our friendly staff members at Goldfields Air Services on 1800 359 427 (1800-FLYGAS) and they can book this over the phone for you. Please ensure you have passenger names, weights and credit card details handy.
7. What times are the flights available?
Lake Lefroy including Big Pit Scenic Flight: 7am – 5pm, every hour on the hour. (Last flight at 4.00pm)
Kalgoorlie Big Pit Scenic Flight: 7am – 5pm, every half an hour. (Last flight at 4.30pm)
8. What if I am the only person on the flight?
We require a minimum of 2 persons for the flight to go ahead. If you wish to pay for an extra seat we are happy to fly with one passenger.
9. What if the flight time I want is not available?
If the departure time you want is not listed please do not hesitate to contact us on 1800-FLYGAS or email firstname.lastname@example.org
10. How high does the plane fly?
Approx 1000-2000 feet (303-606m) above ground
11. Do you offer helicopter tours?
No, there are no helicopter operators in Kalgoorlie.
12. What is the best time of day to fly over the big pit?
Early morning provides the best flying conditions
13. What is your cancellation policy?
Scenic flight bookings that are cancelled more than 7 days before departure will be refunded in full. No-shows or cancellations less than 7 days will not be refunded.
14. Will my flight be cancelled in the event of bad weather?
Flights that are cancelled by Goldfields Air Services due to unforeseen circumstances including but not limited to weather that cannot be rescheduled will be refunded in full.
15. If my flight is cancelled due to bad weather, will I get my money back?
If the pilot deems the scenic flight unable to proceed due to unsatisfactory weather conditions, you can either transfer your flight to another time or day, or alternatively, receive a full refund.
16. What will I see on the flight?
Lake Lefroy including Big Pit Scenic Flight – CLICK HERE for flight details
Kalgoorlie Big Pit Scenic Flight - CLICK HERE for flight details
17. Where does my flight depart from?
Goldfields Air Services Flying School, access from the western end of Burt Street. CLICK HERE for directions
18. Can I open the window during flight to take photos?
If you wish to open the window of the aircraft during your scenic flight to take photos, you will need to contact us to arrange a private charter of the whole aircraft as we cannot open them with other passengers on board.
19. Will I get a window seat?
Yes, every passenger gets a seat next to one of the aircraft’s large viewing windows.
20. Can the door be taken off during flight to take photos?
21. Can the door be opened during flight to take photos?
No. However, the window can be opened during flight, but if this is something you wish to do, you will need to contact us to charter out the whole aircraft.
22. What should I take with me on the flight?
Any filming equipment you wish to use and we recommend sunglasses.
23. What should I wear?
We recommend dressing in comfortable clothing, preferably with closed in shoes and bringing a pair of sunglasses.
24. I am in a wheelchair; can I still go on the flight?
Yes, the pilot will assist you to get into the aircraft providing you have sufficient upper body strength to manoeuvre yourself into your seat.
25. I would like to buy a scenic flight as a present. Do you have gift vouchers?
Yes, we do. CLICK HERE to see available gift cards that you can buy online.
26. Are the aircraft equipped with safety features?
Yes. All GAS scenic flight planes are fitted with EPIRB and GPS tracking devices and carry survival equipment and first aid kits.
27. Will there be commentary during my scenic flight?
Yes, commentary will be provided throughout your scenic flight by your knowledgeable pilot. Please feel free to ask him any questions along the way.